The surname of WINN was a baptismal name 'the son of Gwynne' an early and popular font name which came to Ireland by settlers from Wales. The name in Irish is Gaoithe, and is also spelt as MacGee, Geehan and Mulgeehy. The name is found in Connacht and Leinster. The Connacht Wynn's, claim descent from a settler who came to County Sligo from Denbighshire in the 17th century Early records of the name mention Alexander Wyndis who was convicted of felony in Scotland in 1502. Oto Gwyn, was documented in the County of Oxford, in the year 1513. Robert Wynne of County Somerset registered at Oxford University in 1568. Buried. Hugh Wynn in the middle isle at St. Peter Cornhill, London in the year 1719. When the sparse Irish population began to increase it became necessary to broaden the base of personal identification by moving from single names to a more definite nomenclature. The prefix MAC was given to the father's christian name, or O to that of a grandfather or even earlier ancestor. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. The associated arms were recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. (Registered at the Ulster Office). The origin of badges and emblems, are traced to the earliest times, although, Heraldry, in fact, cannot be traced later than the 12th century, or at furthest the 11th century. At first armorial bearings were probably like surnames and assumed by each warrior at his free will and pleasure, his object being to distinguish himself from others. It has long been a matter of doubt when bearing Coats of Arms first became hereditary. It is known that in the reign of Henry V (1413-1422), a proclamation was issued, prohibiting the use of heraldic ensigns to all who could not show an original and valid right, except those 'who had borne arms at Agincourt'. The College of Arms (founded in 1483) is the Royal corporation of heralds who record proved pedigrees and grant armorial bearings.
The name is also spelt WYNNE.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).