The surname of WHITELOCK was originally of two-fold origin. It was firstly a nickname 'for one with white-hair' and it was also of the locational group of surnames meaning 'the dweller by the white lake' from residence nearby. The name was derived from the Old English word HWITLOCC, and literally meant the dweller by the white stream. Local names usually denoted where a man held his land, and indicated where he actually lived. Early records of the name mention WITLAC (without surname) who was recorded as a tenant in the Domesday Book of 1086. Withlac de Molend was documented in the year 1202 in Hampshire, and Toke Wiclok appears in 1208 in County Norfolk. Emma filius Witlok, 1273 County Huntingdonshire. Walter Whytelock of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll tax of 1379. John Baber and Jane Whitlocke were married at St. Michael, Cornhill, London in 1601. The rise of surnames, according to the accepted theory, was due to the Norman Conquest of 1066 when Old English personal-names were rapidly superseded by the new christian names introduced by the Normans. Of these, only a few were really popular and in the 12th century this scarcity of christian names led to the increasing use of surnames to distinguish the numerous individuals of the same name. Some Normans had hereditary surnames before they came to England, but there is evidence that surnames would have developed in England even had there been no Norman Conquest. The development of the feudal system made it essential that the king should know exactly what service each person owed. Payments to and by the exchequer required that debtors and creditors should be particularized, and it became official that each individual acquired exact identification.
The name was taken to Scotland by early settlers and Th (obviously a clerical error in spelling, but recorded as this) Quhyteloke, was the burgess of Edinburgh in the year 1403. Robert Quhytlok was a tenant under the Abbey of Kelso in 1657, and in 1586 there is a mention of Anne Quhytlokis in Auchtirmuktie. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Arms registered at Frestock, County Devon. Granted in 1620 to William Whitlock.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).