The surname of WHEELDON was a locational name, originally 'of Weldon' two parishes in the diocese of Peterborough and Northamptonshire. Local names usually denoted where a man held his land and indicated where he actually lived. Early records of the name mention William de Welledon, 1197 Northampton. Geoffrey de Weldone was recorded in County Huntingdonshire in 1273, Lucas de Weldon, County Lincoln, ibid. Edward Weldon of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Henry de Weldon, was documented in the year 1327 County Surrey. William Weldon of Northampton, registered at Oxford University in the year 1596. An Anglo-Irish family settled in the Pale, which was a district centered in Dublin, in the 14th century, under the full control of the King of England. The name in Irish is rendered as De BHEALATUN. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour. Many factors contributed to the establishment of a surname system. For generations after the Norman Conquest of 1066 a very few dynasts and magnates passed on hereditary surnames, but the main of the population, with a wide choice of first-names out of Celtic, Old English, Norman and Latin, avoided ambiguity without the need for a second name. As society became more stabilized, there was property to leave in wills, the towns and villages grew and the labels that had served to distinguish a handful of folk in a friendly village were not adequate for a teeming slum where perhaps most of the householders were engaged in the same monotonous trade, so not even their occupations could distinguish them, and some first names were gaining a tiresome popularity, especially Thomas after 1170. The hereditary principle in surnames gained currency first in the South, and the poorer folk were slower to apply it. By the 14th century however, most of the population had acquired a second name.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of arms in 1884. (Athy, County Kildare. Registered at the Ulster Office, 1634, to Walter Weldon Esq., of Athy.)
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).