The surname of RULE was of the locational group of surnames 'of Rule' in the parish of Hobkirk, Roxburghshire. The territory in turn derives its name from the Water of Rule, an affluent on the Teviot. Habitation names are derived from names denoting towns, villages, farmsteads or other named places, which include rivers, houses with signs on them, regions, or whole counties. The original bearer of the name who stayed in his area might be known by the name of his farm, or the locality in the parish; someone who moved to another town might be known by the name of his village; while someone who moved to another county could acquire the name of that county or the region from which he originated. Between 1214 and 1249 we find Alan de Rule, Richard de Rule and Thomas de Rule appearing as witnesses to charters, and Adam de Roule and Thomas de Roule, both of the county of Rokesburk are documented in 1296. Adam de Roule, circa, 1300 made a grant of four acres of land in Molle to the monks of Kelso, which is witnessed by Hugh de Roule and William de Roule. Thomas Ruwell was witness in a Justiciary Court case in Dundee in 1348, and another Thomas Rowle was a tenant of the Douglas in Dalfubill in 1376. William of Roulle witnessed the grant of the forest of Eteryk to John Kerre in 1358. Thomas Roule was the rector of Cambuslang in 1429, and James Roull was a tenant of the Abbey of Kelso in 1567. The origin of badges and emblems, are traced to the earliest times, although, Heraldry, in fact, cannot be traced later than the 12th century, or at furthest the 11th century. At first armorial bearings were probably like surnames and assumed by each warrior at his free will and pleasure, his object being to distinguish himself from others. It has long been a matter of doubt when bearing Coats of Arms first became hereditary. It is known that in the reign of Henry V (1413-1422), a proclamation was issued, prohibiting the use of heraldic ensigns to all who could not show an original and valid right, except those 'who had borne arms at Agincourt'. The College of Arms (founded in 1483) is the Royal corporation of heralds who record proved pedigrees and grant armorial bearings.
The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Registered at Edmundsfield, Scotland in the year 1620.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).