This surname of REDING was originally derived from the Old English RYDELING - a locational name from a place so called in Berkshire, the name of an important market-town. The name literally meant the dweller in the enclosure settlement. The small villages of Europe or royal and noble households, even large religious dwellings and monastries, gave rise to many family names which reflected the occupation or profession of the original bearer of the name. Early records of the name mention Reddinges (without surname) who was listed as a tenant in the Domesday Book of 1086. Grifin del Ruding of the County of Lancashire in was documented in the year 1246. Henry de Reding of the County of Norfolk was recorded in 1305.
John de Reding was the rector of Aldeburgh, County Norfolk in the year 1328. William de Redding of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Later instances of the name include Elizabeth, the daughter of Symon Reading who was baptised at St. James's, Clerkenwell, London in 1621. Henry Redding and Mary Tomlinson were married at St. Michael, Cornhill, London in 1714. Between the 11th and 15th centuries it became customary for surnames to be assumed in Europe, but were not commonplace in England or Scotland before the Norman Conquest of 1066. Those of gentler blood assumed surnames at this time, but it was not until the reign of Edward (1327-1377) that second names became general practice for all people.
A notable member of the name was Rufus Daniel Isaacs, 1st Marquess of Reading (1860-1935) the English lawyer and statesman, born in London. He was educated in London, Brussels and Hanover, and entered Parliament as Liberal member of Reading in 1904. During World War 1 he was special envoy to the United States in negotiating financial plans. He was British ambassador in Washington (1918-21) and thereafter viceroy of India until 1926. He was created Marquess on his return.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).