The surname of REDIGER was derived from the Old English word 'ruddoc'. Nicholas de Reraik held land in Kirkcudbright, circa. 1280, but the first known bearer of the name in its current form seems to be William Redik of Dalbatye, who was recorded in the year 1577. Other records of the name mention Azor Roddoch who was documented in the year 1176 in County Bedfordshire. Matilda Roddoc was recorded in the year 1275 in the County Surrey. Ralph Ruddock of Yorkshire was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Other spellings of the name include RODDOC, RODDOCH, RUDDOCK, REDOCK, RUDDACH and RUDOCH. Surnames as we know them today were first assumed in Europe from the 11th until the 15th century. They had not been in use in England before the Invasion of William the Conqueror in 1066, when they were introduced into England by the Normans. They themselves had not long before adopted them. It became, in course of time, a mark of gentler blood, and it was deemed a disgrace for a gentleman to have but one single name, as the meaner sort. It was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) that it became general practice for all people. Later instances of the name mention William Redock and Anne Squier who were married at St. Mary, Aldermary, London in 1604, and Robert Hewison and Barbara Ruddock were married at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in 1799. Edward Long and Amelia Ruddock were married at the same church in 1807. Alexander Ruddach was burgess of Aberdeen in 1891. Adam Rudoch was resident of Innes, Moray in the year of 1898. In the Middle Ages the Herald (old French herault) was an officer whose duty it was to proclaim war or peace, carry challenges to battle and messages between sovereigns; nowadays war or peace is still proclaimed by the heralds, but their chief duty as court functionaries is to superintend state ceremonies, such as coronations, installations, and to grant arms. Edward III (1327-1377) appointed two heraldic kings-at-arms for south and north, England in 1340. The English College of Heralds was incorporated by Richard III in 1483-84. The lion depicted in the arms is the noblest of all wild beasts which is made to be the emblem of strength and valour, and is on that account the most frequently borne in Coat-Armour.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).