The surname of REDDALL was a locational name 'of Riddell' in the parish of Lillieslead, County Roxburgh. A clan name of great antiquity. The name is also spelt REDDELL, RIDDEL, RIDEL, RUDDEL and REDHULLE. The first Ridel of Craneston was probably Gervasius Ridel who appears as a witness, as to the extent of the lands of the church of Glasgow, c.1124. The first people in Scotland to acquire fixed surnames were the nobles and great landowners, who called themselves, or were called by others, after the lands they possessed. Surnames originating in this way are known as territorial. Formerly lords of baronies and regalities and farmers were inclined to magnify their importance and to sign letters and documents with the names of their baronies and farms instead of their Christian names and surnames. The abuse of this style of speech and writing was carried so far that an Act was passed in the Scots parliament in 1672 forbidding the practice and declaring that it was allowed only to noblemen and bishops to subscribe by their titles. Many individuals of the name are in record as holders of land and as charter witnesses in the 13th and 14th centuries, and among the more distinguished of the name in later times may be mentioned Robert Reddall of Glenriddell, the friend and early patron of Robert Burns. A family of this name have been established at Whitton in the former county of Roxburghire since the mid-12th century, when Walter de Riddel (of Rydale in Yorks) accompanied King David I (1124-53) from England, and was appointed sheriff of the county. Another family of this name have been established in Northumberland since at least the 14th century. An ancestor, Sir William de Riddell, was sheriff of the county, and was appointed constable of Norham Castle in the year 1314. The name was also derived from the Welsh name Ap Riddle. Early records of the name mention Robert Priddle of Lancashire, 1557 and William Priddle in the year 1588 appears in County Yorkshire. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Arms recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).