This surname of PATTISON was a baptismal name 'the son of Patrick'. The native home of the Clan Pheadirean was on the north side of Lochfyne, where they were formerly numerous. This was the name of a 5th century Romano-Britain who became the apostle of Ireland, and it was largely as a result of his fame that the given name was so popular in the Middle Ages. The name was first introduced in its Latin form PATRICIUS, meaning the son of a noble father, a member of the patrician class, and a member of the Roman hereditary-aristocracy Early records of the name mention William Patrison and John Patonson 'gentillmen' who were witnesses in Aberdeen in 1446. Donald Patyrson was burgess of Aberdeen in 1446. The name was taken to Ireland by immigrants from Scotland in the 17th century, where they participated in the schemes for the plantation of that province. Surnames as we know them today were first assumed in Europe from the 11th to the 15th Century. They were not in use in England or in Scotland before the Norman Conquest, and were first found in the Domesday Book. The employment in the use of a second name was a custom that was first introduced from the Normans. They themselves had not long before adopted them. It became, in course of time, a mark of gentler blood, and it was deemed a disgrace for gentlemen to have but one single name, as the meaner sort had. It was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) it became general practice amongst all people. Later instances of the name mention Bartholomew, son of John Paddyson, who was baptised at St. James's, Clerkenwell, London in the year 1678, and Samuel Paddison married Elizabeth Vergette at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in 1795.
A notable member of the name was Dorothy Wyndlow Pattison (1832-78) the English philanthropist, known as 'Sister Dora'. In 1861 she became schoolmistress at Little Woolston, near Bletchley and in 1864 joined the Sisterhood of the Good Samaritan at Coatham near Redcar. As 'Sister Dora' she became a nurse at Walsall and in 1877 became head of the Hospital at Walsall. She was indefatigable in all her good works. The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Registered in London.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).