Where did the Spanish Ortega family come from? What is the Spanish coat of arms/family crest? When did the Ortega family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ortega, Ortego, de Ortega, Hortega, de Hortega, Ortiga, Ortegal, Ortigal, Ortiguera, Ortigosa and many more.
First found in Castile, in north central Spain.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Among the early explorers of the New World was Juan de Ortega, who voyaged to Río de la Plata with Pedro de Mendoza in the early years of discovery. He later travelled to Asunción in Paraguay, where he died around 1575. Other early migrants to the New World bearing this surname were: Antón de Ortega, who sailed to America in 1511.
Some noteworthy people of the name Ortega
* Blanca Rosa Ortega, American accountant and professor
* Deborah L. Ortega, American government official
* James Ortega, American engineering company executive
* Oscar J. Ortega, prominent American rancher
* Braulio Atienza Ortega (b. 1925), Spanish doctor
* Domingo Ortega, Spanish bullfighter
* Manuel Ortega, Spanish singer and actor who frequently performed with his daughter Luisa Ortega
* Onésimo Redondo Ortega, Spanish politician
* Christine Godinez Ortega (b. 1952), poet and professor from the Philippines
* Jacobo Ortega, educator
* Katherine Davalos Ortega, former U.S. treasurer
* Rafael Briceño Ortega (1887-1932), Venezuelan poet
* Ramón Arturo Vargas-Machuca Ortega (b. 1948), professor of Philosophy in Spain.
* Ruben Francisco Ortega Jr, Arizona state representative
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).