This surname of MILLON was a French locational name for a dweller at, or near a small millet field. The name in England is MILLER and MILLARD. It was also an occupational name for a miller. The mill, whether powered by water, wind or (occasionally) animals, was an important centre in every medieval settlement; it was normally operated by an agent of the local landowner, and individual peasants were compelled to come to him to have their corn ground into flour, a proportion of the ground corn being kept by the miller by way of payment. Surnames derived from placenames are divided into two broad categories; topographic names and habitation names. Topographic names are derived from general descriptive references to someone who lived near a physical feature such as an oak tree, a hill, a stream or a church. Habitation names are derived from pre-existing names denoting towns, villages and farmsteads. Other classes of local names include those derived from the names of rivers, individual houses with signs on them, regions and whole countries.It was also used as a baptismal name meaning 'the descendant of Little Milo' (soldier), or of Little Emile (industrious). The earliest French hereditary surnames are found in the 12th century, at more or less the same time as they arose in England, but they are by no means common before the 13th century, and it was not until the 15th century that they stabilized to any great extent; before then a surname might be handed down for two or three generations, but then abandoned in favour of another. In the south, many French surnames have come in from Italy over the centuries, and in Northern France, Germanic influence can often be detected. Early records of the name in England mention Walter le Meleward, recorded in County Huntingdonshire in 1273. Robert de Millward of Yorkshire was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Manumissio Thomas Haale, alias dicti Mylleward de Hextone, was documented in the year 1480. John Milward of County Derbyshire, married Mary Corderoy at Canterbury in 1662. Richard Millard and Mary Rhymes, married at St. Dionis Backchurch, London in 1696.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).