MILLINGTON was a locational name ' of Millington ' a spot in Yorkshire. The name was derived from the Old English word MYLENTUN, and literally meant the dweller by the mill, from residence nearby. Local names usually denoted where a man held his land and indicated where he actually lived. Early records of the name mention MULINTUNE (without surname) who was listed as a tenant in the Domesday Book of 1086. The name was documented as MILLYNGTON in the year 1278, County Chester. Edward Millingtone of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Hugh de Mulynton, 1400 County Cheshire. Robert Milligeton married Ann Wodd at Prestbury Church, Cheshire in 1606. James Millington of Knutsford was listed in the Wills at Chester in 1608. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. Hereditary surnames were originally imported from France into England during the Norman Conquest of 1066. In the two centuries or so after the Conquest surnames were acquired by most families of major landholders, and many landed families of lesser importance. There appears to have been a constant trickle of migration into Britain between about the years 1200 and 150O, mostly from France and the Low Countries, with a small number of migrants from Scandinavia, Germany, Italy and the Iberian peninsular, and occasional individuals from further afield. During this period groups of aliens settled in this country as for example, the Germans who from the late 15th century onwards settled in Cumbria to work the metal mines. Immigration during this time had only a small effect on the body of surnames used in Britain. In many cases, the surnames of immigrants were thoroughly Anglicised. The late sixteenth century saw the arrival, mostly in London and the south-coast ports of large numbers of people fleeing from the war regions of France.
The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Arms registered at Millington, County Chester in the year of 1796.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).