SURNAMES as we know them today were first assumed in Europe from the 11th to the 15th Century. They were not in use in England or in Scotland before the Norman Conquest of 1066, and were first found in the Domesday Book. The employment in the use of a second name was a custom that was first introduced from the Normans. They themselves has not long before adopted them. It became, in course of time, a mark of gentler blood, and it was deemed a disgrace to gentlemen to have but one single name, as the meaner sort had. It was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) it became general practice amongst all people. MILLES was a locational name 'the dweller at the mill' from residence nearby. Local names usually denoted where a man held land and indicated where he actually lived. The mill, whether powered by water, wind or (occasionally) animals, was an important centre in every medieval settlement; it was normally operated by an agent of the local landowner, and individual peasants were compelled to come to him to have their corn ground into flour, a proportion of the ground corn being kept by the miller by way of payment. The name was a popular font name during the 11th and 12th centuries. Early records of the name mention Margary Mylys, County Cambridge, 1273. John Myls was documented in 1336 County Yorkshire. Edward Mill of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Anne Mill was baptised at St. James's, Clerkenwell, London in 1645. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his follower, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).