Spelling variations of this family name include: MacKay, MacCay, MacQuey, MacQuoid, MacKaw, MacKy, MacKye, MacCoy, McCoy and many more.
First found in Sutherland where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Denis McCoy and his wife Catharine, who were colonists in Amelia county, Virginia in 1719; Agnes, Angus, Alexander, Anna, Catherine, Daniel, George, James, John, Margaret, Neil, Samuel and William McKay, who all arrived in Pennsylvania in 1772.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Motto Translated: With a strong hand.
Suggested Readings for the name McCoy
Squirrel Huntin' Sam McCoy by Hobert McCoy, The McCoys by Truda Williams McCoy.
Some noteworthy people of the name McCoy
* William S McCoy (d. 1948), American sea captain and smuggler during the U.S. Prohibition Era, famous for never watering his booze
* Charlie McCoy (b. 1941), American musician
* Colt McCoy (b. 1986), American football quarterback
* Al McCoy (1894-1966), American middleweight champion boxer
* Tim McCoy (1891-1978), American actor
* Joseph McCoy, 19th century cattle baron, frequently cited as the inspiration for the phrase "The Real McCoy"
* William Frederick McCoy, Lawyer
* Frederick McCoy (1823-1899), British palaeontologist
* Garry McCoy (b. 1972), Australian motorcycle racer
Please be aware that there is more than one coat of arms for this surname. If you would like this particular coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).