The surname of MARGESON was a baptismal name 'the son of Margaret' an ancient font name. Early records of the name mention John Margerie, County Suffolk, 1273. William and Gilbert Margerie were bailiffs of Crail, Scotland in the year 1297. Johannes Marjory, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Surnames as we know them today were first assumed in Europe from the 11th until the 15th century. They had not been in use in England before the Invasion of William the Conqueror in 1066, when they were introduced into England by the Normans. They themselves had not long before adopted them. It became, in course of time, a mark of gentler blood, and it was deemed a disgrace for a gentleman to have but one single name, as the meaner sort. It was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) that it became general practice for all people. Later instances of the name included Griffin Margison and Anstis Hall were married at Westminster, London in 1619, and Eleanor, daughter of Richard Margeson was baptised at St. Peter, Cornhill, London in the year 1716. During the Middle Ages, when people were unable to read or write, signs were needed for all visual identification. For several centuries city streets in Britain were filled with signs of all kinds, public houses, tradesmen and even private householders found them necessary. This was an age when there were no numbered houses, and an address was a descriptive phrase that made use of a convenient landmark. At this time, coats of arms came into being, for the practical reason that men went into battle heavily armed and were difficult to recognise. It became the custom for them to adorn their helmets with distinctive crests, and to paint their shields with animals and the like. Coats of arms accompanied the development of surnames, becoming hereditary in the same way.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).