Macdearmont Coat of Arms / Macdearmont Family Crest
This name of MacDEARMONT is a comparatively rare one in record, and when it does appear it is sometimes corrupted into M'Kermit. The Macdiarmids of Glenlyon claim, or claimed to be the oldest if not the aboriginal race of the district. The Gaelic form of the name was MacDhiarmaid, a baptismal name meaning 'the son of Dermid'. Nemeas Mactarmayt was the rector of St. Conganus de Duybrinis, and afterwards vicar of Kilchoman in Islay in 1427, and appears to be the first of the name on record. John McKeremyt was a tenant of Pollouchquhy in 1504, and Archibald McDiarmott was a charter witness at Inverlevirmore in 1659. John Dow McDearmeid was a tenant of Bols in Islay in 1686, and Alexander M'Dermite was 'toun clerk deput of Air' in 1687. Alba, the country which became Scotland, was once shared by four races; the Picts who controlled most of the land north of the Central Belt; the Britons, who had their capital at Dumbarton and held sway over the south west, including modern Cumbria; the Angles, who were Germanic in origin and annexed much of the Eastern Borders in the seventh century, and the Scots. The latter came to Alba from the north of Ireland late in the 5th century to establish a colony in present day Argyll, which they named Dalriada, after their homeland. The latin name SCOTTI simply means a Gaelic speaker. Later instances of the name include a John McDermeit, who was a student at Glasgow University in 1698, and several M'Diamids were among the Duke of Atholl's Fencible men enrolled at Glenlyon in 1706. The name has numerous variant spellings. It has long been a matter of doubt when the bearing of coats of arms first became hereditary and it was not until the Crusades that Heraldry came into general use. Men went into battle heavily armed and were difficult to recognise. It became the custom for them to adorn their helmets with distinctive crests, and to paint their shields with animals and the like. Coats of arms accompanied the development of surnames, becoming hereditary in the same way. The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Registered at Glenlyon, County Perth. (McDiarmid).
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).