Spelling variations of this family name include: Lyon, Lions, Lyons and others.
First found in Norfolk where they were seated from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Lyon, who settled in the Barbados in 1634; Mathew Lyon settled in North Carolina with his wife Mary in 1775; William Lyon settled in Boston in 1635.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Motto Translated: For King and country.
Suggested Readings for the name Lyons
Baldwin/Lyon Family by Virginia Baldwin Pomata, The Ancestry of Nathalie Fontaine Lyons by Jo White Linn.
Some noteworthy people of the name Lyons
* Eugene Lyons, American Writer
* Bernard Lyons, British Company Director
* Denis Lyons, Scientist
* Sir William Lyons, Automobile Manufacturer of Jaguar
* Edmund Lyons (1790-1858), English naval commander
* Francis Stewart Leland Lyons (1923-1983), Irish historian
* Sir Joseph Lyons (1848-1917), English businessman
* Prime Minister Joseph Aloysius Lyons (1879-1939), Australian statesman and Prime Minister (1932-1939)
Please be aware that there is more than one coat of arms for this surname. If you would like a particular coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be one pictured above.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).