This surname KIDAL is of the locational group of surnames 'of Kiddal' a hamlet in the parish of Barwick-in-Elmet, seven miles from Leeds. The name was derived from the Old English word CY-DAEL - and literally meant the dweller in the valley of the cows.
Local names usually indicated where a man held his land. Since the dawn of civilisation the need to communicate has been a prime drive of all higher mankind. The more organised the social structure became, the more urgent the need to name places, objects and situations essential to the survival and existence of the social unit. From this common stem arose the requirements to identify families, tribes and individual members evolving into a pattern in evidence today. In the formation of this history, common usage of customs, trades, locations, patronymic and generic terms were often adopted as surnames. The demands of bureaucracy formally introduced by feudal lords in the 11th century, to define the boundaries and families within their fiefdoms, crystallized the need for personal identification and accountability, and surnames became in general use from this time onwards. Early records of the name mention CHIDALE (without surname) listed as a tenant in the Domesday Book of 1086. The name was documented as KIDALL in the North Riding of Yorkshire in 1303. Thomas de Kidale and Beatrix de Kydhall were both listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. John Sedgewick and Petronella Kidall were married in Westminster, London in the year 1606. Thomas Kiddle and Mary Maidmen were married in Stourton, County Wiltshire in the year 1718. Jonathon Lock and Susanna Kiddell were married at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in the year 1802. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour. The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Registered at South Ferreby, County Lincolnshire
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).