The surname of KERMATH is generally supposed to be a form of Cormack, but it is really of local origin, from Kermuck near Ellon. Eillilmus dictus Kermaghe held lands in Aberdeenshire in 1382, and in 1552 there is mention of a William Kempt de Carmuick vel Carmuk. In 1562 the name is spelled Cormuk, and a family of Kennedy's held the land of Kermuck in Aberdeenshire for many generations. The name of James Kermay, who leased Campsie in Angus in 1448, may be a softened form of the name. Alba, the country which became Scotland, was once shared by four races; the Picts who controlled most of the land north of the Central Belt; the Britons, who had their capital at Dumbarton and held sway over the south west, including modern Cumbria; the Angles, who were Germanic in origin and annexed much of the Eastern Borders in the seventh century, and the Scots. The latter came to Alba from the north of Ireland late in the 5th century to establish a colony in present day Argyll, which they named Dalriada, after their homeland. The Latin name SCOTTI simply means a Gaelic speaker. In 1655 there is mention of the Hill-faulds of Carmuck, and an Andrew Kermuck was a white-fisher in Montrose in 1685. Surnames as we know them today were first assumed in Europe from the 11th to the 15th Century. They were not in use in England or in Scotland before the Norman Conquest, and were first found in the Domesday Book. The employment in the use of a second name was a custom that was first introduced from the Normans. They themselves had not long before adopted them. It became, in course of time, a mark of gentler blood, and it was deemed a disgrace for gentlemen to have but one single name, as the meaner sort had. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour. The name is also spelt Kermuck and Carmuck. The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).