The surname of JENKINSON was a baptismal name 'the son of little Jen or Jenk', the pet forms of John (gracious gift of Jehovah), an ancient font name now long forgotten. Following the crusades in Europe in the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries, a need was felt for a family name to replace the one given at birth, or in addition to it. This was recognized by those of noble birth, and particularly by those who went on the Crusades, as it added prestige and practical advantage to their status. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. Early records of the name mention Robert Jonkinson who was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. William Jenkynson of the County of Yorkshire was documented in the year 1484. Ralph Jenkinson of Longton in 1602, Wills at Chester (1545-1620). The name has many variant spellings which include Jenking, Jenkison, Junkison and Jenkerson. Since the dawn of civilisation the need to communicate has been a prime drive of all higher mankind. The more organised the social structure became, the more urgent the need to name places, objects and situations essential to the survival and existence of the social unit. From this common stem arose the requirements to identify families, tribes and individual members evolving into a pattern in evidence today. In the formation of this history, common usage of customs, trades, locations, patronymic and generic terms were often adopted as surnames. The demands of bureaucracy formally introduced by feudal lords in the 11th century, to define the boundaries and families within their fiefdoms, crystallized the need for personal identification and accountability, and surnames became in general use from this time onwards.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
The arms were registered at Tunstal, County Norfolk, and Oulton, County Suffolk; confirmed by Harvey, Clarenceux, 8th Nov. 1563.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).