GIBB was a baptismal name 'the son of Gilbert' from the nickname Gibbe, an ancient but now forgotten personal name. The name was taken early to Scotland by settlers and Dauid Gyb was a member of an assize at Cuoar in 1521. Elizabeth Gib is recorded in Craigmakerane in 1585. Early records of the name in England, mention Gibbe de Huckendale, 1179 Northumberland. Wince Gibbe, was documented in 1290 in the County of Norfolk. Johannes Gybsonne of Yorkshire was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379.
A notorious rascal named Gybby Selby is mentioned in State Papers of London in 1562. James Gibbs (1682-1754) was the Scottish architect, born in Aberdeen. He studied in Holland as a protege of the exiled Earl of Mar. He became a friend and disciple of Wren, and in 1713 one of the commissioners for building new churches in London, but was dismissed in 1715 for his Roman Catholicism. He designed St. Mary-le-Strand (1717), the steeple of St. Clement Danes (1719) and St. Martin-in-the-Fields, the latter being perhaps his most influential and attractive work. He was also responsible for St. Bartholomew's Hospital in 1730 and the Senate House in Cambridge in 1730. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour. Alba, the country which became Scotland, was once shared by four races; the Picts who controlled most of the land north of the Central Belt; the Britons, who had their capital at Dumbarton and held sway over the south west, including modern Cumbria; the Angles, who were Germanic in origin and annexed much of the Eastern Borders in the seventh century, and the Scots. The latter came to Alba from the north of Ireland late in the 5th century to establish a colony in present day Argyll, which they named Dalriada, after their homeland. The Latin name SCOTTI simply means a Gaelic speaker.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Registered at Caribber, Scotland.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).