Gainsborough Coat of Arms / Gainsborough Family Crest
The surname of GAINSBOROUGH was of the locational group of surnames 'of Gainsborough' a place in County Lincolnshire. GAEIGNESBURH (without surname) who was listed in the Domesday Book of 1066, appears to be the first of the name on record. The Normans had three kinds of names from different sources. First were names their Viking ancestors brought from Norway to France (8th Century).That's why they were Normans (Northmen). Second were names they found in France.The Franks (French) had come from Franconia in Germany and had crossed the Rhine to occupy the Roman Province of Gaul (5th Century) and called it France. They mixed Latin and German to create French, translating old Germanic names into it,ignoring existing Latin and Celtic (pre-Roman) names. The Viking Normans who also ditched their own language (except for the names) adopted French names as well. The third kind of Norman names were religious. They became Christians and the most religious of them used Saints names. The Normans between 1066 and 1170 conquered England, southern Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Sicily and southern Italy.They were followed everywhere by other French families and some Bretons (the pre-Roman Celts left in north-west France).To this day their names are found in Royalty, Politics and Big Business in these countries and in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States which their descendants colonised. Other records of the name mention Gainesburg (without surname) who was recorded in 1200, and Thomas Gainsborough of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Robert, son of Matthias Gainsborough was baptised at St. Peter, Cornhill, London in the year 1714. Thomas Gainsborough (1727-88) was the English landscape and portrait painter, one of the great English masters and founder of the English school, born in Sudbury, Suffolk. In his youth he copied Dutch landscapes and at 14 was sent to London to learn the art of rococo decoration. In 1745, he married one of his subjects, Margaret, the illegitimate daughter of the 4th Duke of Beaufort. 'The Charterhouse' (1748) marks the end of his apprenticeship, and he established himself with 'Earl Nugent' (1760).
The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Registered at Crowhurst, County Surrey.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).