The surname of DREW was derived from the Old French word 'dreus' a name meaning 'one who was sturdy'. Surnames having a derivation from nicknames form the broadest and most miscellaneous class of surnames, encompassing many different types of origin. The most typical classes refer adjectivally to the general physical aspect of the person concerned, or to his character. Many nicknames refer to a man's size or height, while others make reference to a favoured article of clothing or style of dress. Many surnames derived from the names of animals and birds. In the Middle Ages ideas were held about the characters of other living creatures, based on observation, and these associations were reflected and reinforced by large bodies of folk tales featuring animals behaving as humans. Early records of the name mention Drogo (without surname) who was listed as a tenant in the Domesday Book of 1086. William Dru, was documented in the year 1275 in the County of Surrey. Willelmus Drue of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Drew, sonne of Nicholas Hewitt was buried at St. Peter, Cornhill, London in the year 1583. Drue Simmonds and Elizabeth Willington were married at St. Dionis, Backchurch, London in the year 1620. The name was taken early to Scotland. John Drew and James Drew, were tenants of the Bishop of Glasgow in 1512. Patrick Drew was renter of the land of Badirmonoch, Scotland in 1517. William Drew was a witness in Glasgow in 1552, and John Drew, a maltman became burgess freeman in Glasgow in 1577. Alba, the country which became Scotland, was once shared by four races; the Picts who controlled most of the land north of the Central Belt; the Britons, who had their capital at Dumbarton and held sway over the south west, including modern Cumbria; the Angles, who were Germanic in origin and annexed much of the Eastern Borders in the seventh century, and the Scots. The latter came to Alba from the north of Ireland late in the 5th century to establish a colony in present day Argyll, which they named Dalriada, after their homeland. The Latin name SCOTTI simply means a Gaelic speaker. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).