The surname of DAVIS was a baptismal name 'the son of David' from the nickname Davy. An ancient Welsh personal name. Early records mention Richard Davi, who was documented in 1273, County Somerset. William Davy, was recorded in Oxfordshire in the same year Johannes Dauyson of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. John Davyson married Elizabeth Bella at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in 1526. This well known English and Welsh name is associated with Mallow in Ireland. The name has been perennially popular in honour of the biblical king of the name, the greatest of early kings of Israel, and led to this being a given name throughout Europe in the Middle Ages. Its popularity increased in Britain firstly by virtue of its being the name of the patron saint of Wales (about which very little is known); he was probably a 6th century monk and bishop, and secondly because it was borne by two kings of Scotland (David I reigned 1124-53 and David II 1329-71). Its popularity in Russia is largely due to the fact that this was the church name adopted by St. Gleb (died.1015) one of the two sons of Vladimir, duke of Muscovy, who were martyred for their Christian zeal. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour. The origin of badges and emblems, are traced to the earliest times, although, Heraldry, in fact, cannot be traced later than the 12th century, or at furthest the 11th century. At first armorial bearings were probably like surnames and assumed by each warrior at his free will and pleasure, his object being to distinguish himself from others. It has long been a matter of doubt when bearing Coats of Arms first became hereditary. It is known that in the reign of Henry V (1413-1422), a proclamation was issued, prohibiting the use of heraldic ensigns to all who could not show an original and valid right, except those 'who had borne arms at Agincourt'. The College of Arms (founded in 1483) is the Royal corporation of heralds who record proved pedigrees and grant armorial bearings.
The arms were registered at Kill, County Kildare.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).