The surname of CURRY was derived from the Gaelic O'Comhraidhe. This is the name of two septs, unconnected, of Thomond and Moygoish. In some cases the name is a variant of Corry. Families of this name settled in Ulster from Scotland with the 17th century plantation of the province. It is still predominant in Ulster. Ireland was one of the earliest countries to evolve a system of hereditary surnames. They came into being fairly generally in the 11th century, and indeed a few were formed before the year 1000. When the sparse Irish population began to increase it became necessary to broaden the base of personal identification by moving from single names to a more definite nomenclature. The prefix MAC was given to the father's christian name, or O to that of a grandfather or even earlier ancestor. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. Dr John Curry (c.1710-1780) of Dublin was notable as an eminent physician, as a historian and as the organizer of the first Catholic Committee during the Penal Code period. Families of the name belonging to south-west Cork, are probably representatives of the minor Corca Laoidhe sept of O'Curry.
James Currie (1756-1805) was the Scottish physician and editor, born in Kirkpatrick-Flemish manse, Dumfriesshire. He studied medicine at Edinburgh and Glasgow and from 1780 practised at Liverpool. His chief medical work was 'Reports on the Effects of Water in Febrile Diseases' (1797) but he is best remembered as the first editor of Robert Burns (1800) with a life and criticism of the writings, undertaken solely for the benefit of Burns' family.
The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
The name is also spelt Currey and Corry.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory.
Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).