The surname of CROSARE was an official name 'the crosier' one who carried the Bishops cross or pastorial staff. Persons of this name were early settlers in Liddesdale and about the year 1376 there is a mention of Locus Croyser in the rent-roll of the lordship. William Crosier was the professor of philosophy in the newly founded University of St. Andrews in 1410, and William Croyser, a Scotsman was granted to have a safe conduct to travel into England in 1429. Master William Croyser, archdeacon of Teviotdale was also given a safe conduct to pass through England in the year 1433. William Croyser held the parish church of Kirkgunzeon in 1418. The burghs of Scotland owe much of their prosperity to the large immigration of foreigners which went on during the 12th and 13th centuries. The original founders of the towns, were in many cases wanderers from Flanders, who brought with them their habits of industry and knowledge of trade and manufactures. Settlers of this description came in great numbers to England in the reign of Henry I (1100-1135) and when Henry II (1154-1189) drove all foreigners out of his dominions they flocked into Scotland, where a more enlightened policy made them welcome. In 1526 the Duke of Richmond complained of the doings of the Crosaris and others, and a William Crosar was a witness in 1537. This occupational name is listed in the 'census' of Ireland in 1659 as one of the principal English names in Fermanagh. Other records of the name mention Simon le Croyser who was recorded in the year 1300 in County Yorkshire and William Crosar of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. William Croyser 1400, Oxford. Surnames before the Norman Conquest of 1066 were rare in England having been brought by the Normans when William the Conqueror invaded the shores. The practice spread to Scotland and Ireland by the 12th century, and in Wales they appeared as late as the 16th century. Most surnames can be traced to one of four sources, locational, from the occupation of the original bearer, nicknames or simply font names based on the first name of the parent being given as the second name to their child.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).