The surname of CRAWCOUR was an occupational name 'the crocker' - a maker of pots, a potter. It was an extremely important craft in the early days, and mentioned frequently in medieval documents. Occupational surnames originally denoted the actual occupation followed by the individual. At what period they became hereditary is a difficult problem. Many of the occupation names were descriptive and could be varied. In the Middle Ages, at least among the Christian population, people did not usually pursue specialized occupations exclusively to the extent that we do today, and they would, in fact, turn their hand to any form of work that needed to be done, particularly in a large house or mansion, or on farms and smallholdings. In early documents, surnames often refer to the actual holder of an office, whether the church or state. A Norman family called Crevequer followed William the Conqueror to England, and held Leeds Castle in Kent from the 11th century to the 13th century, later established branches in other parts of England. A branch bearing the name Creuker held land in Derbyshire from about 1346 until 1601. All modern bearers of the surname are probably descended from a certain Thomas Craker, who held land in Ombersley, Worcstershire in the year 1484. Other records of the name mention Simon le Crockere of the County of Oxford in 1273. John le Crockere of the County of Middlesex was recorded in the year 1301. John le Crokker of County Somerset, was documented during the reign of Edward III (1327-1377). John le Crocker of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Henry Crocker went to the United States of America in the ship 'Abigail', in 1620. Pasco Croker and Sarah Russel were married at St. Mary, Aldermary, London in 1746. The name is also spelt as Croker and Croaker. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).