The surname of CRADDOCK was a baptismal name 'the son of Caradoc' an ancient Welsh personal name. The name was originally brought into England in the wake of the Norman Invasion, and CRADOCK (without surname) who was recorded in 1086, appears to be the first of the name on record. Many of the early names recorded in medieval documents denote noble families but many also indicate migration from the continent during, and in the wake of, the Norman invasion of 1066. There was a constant stream of merchants, workmen and others arriving in England during this time. In 1086 the Record of Great Inquisition of lands of England, their extent, value, ownership and liabilities was made by order of William The Conquerer. It is known as the Domesday Book.
Other records of the name mention David Craddock, County Somerset, during the reign of Edward III (1327-1377). Cradok ap Howell was also recorded in Somerset in the year 1400. Sir John Francis Caradoc, Lord Howden (1762-1839) changed his name from Craddock to Caradoc in 1820. He was the only son of John Cradock, archbishop of Dublin.
Most of the European surnames in countries such as England, Scotland and France were formed in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The process had started somewhat earlier and had continued in some places into the 19th century, but the norm is that in the tenth and eleventh centuries people did not have surnames, whereas by the fifteenth century most of the population had acquired a second name.
A notable member of the name was Charles Egbert Craddock (1850-1922) the pseudonym of Mary Noailles Murfee, the American writer born in Tennessee. She published short stories in the Atlantic Monthly from 1878, and became a prolific novelist of mountain backwoods life.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).