The surname of COWCHER was an occupational name 'the coucher' one who made cushions and carpets, a tapister. Many of the modern family names throughout Europe reflect the profession or occupation of their forbears in the Middle Ages and derive from the position held by their ancestors in the village, noble household or religious community in which they lived and worked. The addition of their profession to their birth name made it easier to identity individual tradesmen and craftsmen. As generations passed and families moved around, so the original identifying names developed into the corrupted but simpler versions that we recognise today.
Early records of the name mention John le Cochere, 1273 County Sussex. William Cowche, County Yorkshire, 1431. John Cowcher and Mary Horn were married at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in 1758.
Sir Arthur Quiller COUCH (1863-1944) was born in Bodmin, Cornwall. He was educated at Clifton college and Trinity college in Oxford, where he was a lecturer in classics (1886-1987). After some years of literary work in London, where he lived from 1891, he became professor of English literature at Cambridge in 1912. He edited the Oxford Book of English Verse (1900), he also published volumes of essays, criticism, poems, and parodies.
The origin of badges and emblems, are traced to the earliest times, although, Heraldry, in fact, cannot be traced later than the 12th century, or at furthest the 11th century. At first armorial bearings were probably like surnames and assumed by each warrior at his free will and pleasure, his object being to distinguish himself from others. It has long been a matter of doubt when bearing Coats of Arms first became hereditary. It is known that in the reign of Henry V (1413-1422), a proclamation was issued, prohibiting the use of heraldic ensigns to all who could not show an original and valid right, except those 'who had borne arms at Agincourt'. The College of Arms (founded in 1483) is the Royal corporation of heralds who record proved pedigrees and grant armorial bearings.The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).