The surname of COLBECK was a locational name 'of Caldbeck' a parish in County Cumberland. Local names usually denoted where a man held his land, and indicated where he actually lived.
Families acquired a place name as a surname under three different sets of circumstances. Either the man lived or worked in, on or near some topographic formation or landscape feature, either natural or artificial or he formerly lived in a village, town or city and acquired the reputation of being from that place. Finally he owned or was lord of the village or manor designated. In the overwhelming majority of cases it is impossible to say whether a remote ancestor owned the manor or had merely once lived in that place. However, it is safe to say that in most cases a manor or village name merely identifies the place where the original bearer of the name formerly resided.
Early records of the name mention Thomas de Caldebek on the Register of the Freemen of York, 1321. Thomas Walford and Mary Coleback who were married at St. George's, Hanover Square, London 1787. John Colebeck and Sarah Richardson were married at the same church in 1790. James Webster and Tabitha Colback were married at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in 1806.
During the Middle Ages, when people were unable to read or write, signs were needed for all visual identification. For several centuries city streets in Britain were filled with signs of all kinds, public houses, tradesmen and even private householders found them necessary. This was an age when there were no numbered houses, and an address was a descriptive phrase that made use of a convenient landmark. At this time, coats of arms came into being, for the practical reason that men went into battle heavily armed and were difficult to recognise. It became the custom for them to adorn their helmets with distinctive crests, and to paint their shields with animals and the like. Coats of arms accompanied the development of surnames, becoming hereditary in the same way.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Registered in Bedfordshire.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).