This Irish surname COGGON was originally of Welsh origin, a habitation name from a parish called Llandaff, near Cardiff. There is evidence of a family named de Cogan in the 12th century, and by the 13th century the name was associated with Somerset, Devon, County Limerick and County Cork. Habitation names are derived from names denoting towns, villages, farmsteads or other named places, which include rivers, houses with signs on them, regions, or whole counties. The original bearer of the name who stayed in his area might be known by the name of his farm, or the locality in the parish; someone who moved to another town might be known by the name of his village; while someone who moved to another county could acquire the name of that county or the region from which he originated. Early records of the name mention John de Cogan, of County Devon, who was recorded in 1273, and Richard Cogan of County Somerset, who was documented during the reign of Edward III (1327-1377). The descendants of the County Galway sept O'Cuagain are now most heavily distributed in Leinster, particularly in County Kilkenny and County Carlow. Another heavy distribution of the name is County Monaghan. The name in Irish is Mac Cogadhain, meaning 'the son of the hound of war'. Other records of the name mention William de Cogan, 1625 and Peter Mac Coogan was documented in the year 1642. It has long been a matter of doubt when the bearing of coats of arms first became hereditary and it was not until the Crusades that Heraldry came into general use. Men went into battle heavily armed and were difficult to recognise. It became the custom for them to adorn their helmets with distinctive crests, and to paint their shields with animals and the like. Coats of arms accompanied the development of surnames, becoming hereditary in the same way.
Later instances in include Richard Browne and Hellen Coggen who were married at St. James's, Clerkenwell, London in the year 1605, and John Coggain wed Sarah Fletchew at the same church in 1716. Thomas Coggin and Elizabeth Tillcock were married at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in 1789, and William Shickle and Elizabeth Cogan were married at the same church in the year 1809. The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Registered in Ireland to Richard de Cogan, living during the reign of King John (1199-1216).
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).