Spelling variations of this family name include: Connolly, Conolly, Connally, O'Connolly, Connolley, Conally, Connelly, Conoley, Connaleigh, Connelay, Conley, Conlay, Conlaye and many more.
First found in the county of Monaghan where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Michael and Thomas Connally who settled in Philadelphia Pa. in 1834 and 1856 respectively; M. Connolley settled in New York in 1820; John Connolly settled in Virginia in 1773.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Suggested Readings for the name Connolly
"James C. Connolly: Parents and Descendants, 1805-1974" by Nancy Christensen Manly.
Some noteworthy people of the name Connolly
* Maureen Connolly (1934-1969), American tennis player
* Maureen Catherine Connolly (1934-1969), original name of Little Mo
* James Connolly (1868-1916), Irish Labour leader and insurgent
* Patrick Connolly, former Attorney General of Ireland
* Cyril Connolly (1903-1974), English essayist, critic and novelist
* Billy Connolly, Scottish comedian
* Cyril Vernon Connolly (1903-1974), English author and journalist
* William "Billy" Connolly (b. 1942), is a Scottish comedian, musician, presenter and actor
Please be advised that there is normally more than one coat of arms for any given surname. If you would like this particular Connolly coat of arms, you must describe it on our order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Thanks for visiting ourConnolly Family Crests / Connolly Coats of Arms website.
Gaelic Spelling: ó Conghaile
Gaelic Meaning: fierce as a hound
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).