The surname of CHEAL was a locational name 'of Cheal' a hamlet in the parish of Gosberton, south Lincolnshire, three miles from Donington. Local names usually denoted where a man held his land, and indicated where he actually lived. The name was originally derived from the Old English word KEGIL, literally meaning the dweller at the plank bridge, from residence nearby. CEILA (without surname) who was documented in the Domesday Book of 1086, appears to be the first of the name on record, and CEGLE (without surname) was documented in the year 1185. Surnames as we recognise them today are believed to have been introduced by the Normans after the Invasion of 1066. The first mention of such names appears in the Domesday Book and they were progressively adopted between the 11th and 15th centuries. It was the nobles and upper classes who first assumed a second name, setting them apart from the common people who continued to use only the single name given to them at birth. It was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) that it became common practice to use a secondary name, originally a name reflecting the place of birth, a nickname, an occupational name or a baptismal name which had been passed on from a parent to the child, as an additional means of identification. Other records of the name mention Gilbert de Chele, 1273, County Lincolnshire. Edward Newcomen and Mary Cheales were married in London in 1668. The origin of badges and emblems, are traced to the earliest times, although, Heraldry, in fact, cannot be traced later than the 12th century, or at furthest the 11th century. At first armorial bearings were probably like surnames and assumed by each warrior at his free will and pleasure, his object being to distinguish himself from others. It has long been a matter of doubt when bearing Coats of Arms first became hereditary. It is known that in the reign of Henry V (1413-1422), a proclamation was issued, prohibiting the use of heraldic ensigns to all who could not show an original and valid right, except those 'who had borne arms at Agincourt'. The College of Arms (founded in 1483) is the Royal corporation of heralds who record proved pedigrees and grant armorial bearings. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).