Spelling variations of this family name include: Cameron, MacGuillonies, MacSorlies and many more.
First found in Angus where they were traditionally descended from the Kings of Denmark and assisted in the restoration of King Fergus II in the year 404.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the group who arrived on the ships, the "Sarah" and the "Dove" in Upper Canada in 1801; their holds filled with 700 Camerons and Frasers from the Lochaber country. The Camerons also settled in the U.S.A. in Carolina, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, St. Christopher, Virginia, New York, Georgia, and California, in the 18th and 19th centuries. In Newfoundland, Alexander Cameron settled in St. John's in 1744.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Motto Translated: Unite.
Suggested Readings for the name Cameron
"The Cameron Family" by Louise Frances Cameron Rose, "A Family Hierarchy in Canada and the United States of America, 1619-1971: Cameron, Allied Kinze and Warth Families" by C. E. Cameron.
Some noteworthy people of the name Cameron
* Colonel Kenneth Donald Cameron (b. 1949), American astronaut
* Kirk Cameron (b. 1970), American actor
* Mike Cameron (b. 1973), American Major League Baseball player
* William Ewan Cameron (1842-1927), American politician, governor of Virginia (1882-1886)
* Simon Cameron (1799-1889), American statesman
* David Young Cameron (1865-1945), Scottish artist
* James Mark Cameron (1911-1985), Scottish journalist
* John Cameron (1579-1625), Scottish theologian
* Richard Cameron (1648-1680), Scottish Covenanter
* Archie Cameron (1895-1956), Australian politician
* Bill Cameron (1942-2005), Canadian journalist
* Bob Cameron (b. 1963), Australian politician
* David Cameron (b. 1966), British politician
* Commander Donald Cameron (1916-1961), British soldier, Victoria Cross recipient
* Douglas Colin Cameron (1854-1921), Canadian politician
* Pero Cameron (b. 1974), New Zealand professional basketball player
* James Francis Cameron (b. 1954), Canadian director and screenwriter who wrote and directed the movie "Titanic" and created the "Terminator" franchise
* Julia Margaret Cameron (1815-1879), English pioneering portrait photographer
* Verney Lovett Cameron (1844-1894), English naval officer, explorer and mapper of Africa
Please be aware that there is more than one cameron coat of arms available. If you would like this particular cameron coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).