Spelling variations of this family name include: Blackwell, Blackwall, Blackwill, Blackwel, Blaikewell, Blakewell, Blakewill, Blakewall, Blaikewall, Blakwill, Blackville, Blaikville, Blakeville, Bleckwell, Bleckwall, Bleckville, Plackwell, Plakewell, Plackville, Blatwell, Blatswill, Platwill and many more.
First found in Derbyshire where they were seated from very ancient times.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Jeremy Blackwell who settled in Boston Mass. in 1635; Roger Blackwell settled in Virginia in 1636; John Blackwell settled in Quebec in 1825 with his family.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
* Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910), American (British-born) physician, the first woman to be awarded a medical doctorate in modern times
* Henry Brown Blackwell, American (English born) reformer, abolitionist and supporter of women's suffrage
* Alice Stone Blackwell (1857-1950), American feminist, journalist and human rights advocate
* Carlyle Blackwell (1888-1955), American actor, director, and writer
* John Kenneth Blackwell (b. 1942), American politician
* Emily Blackwell (1826-1910), American doctor
* Chris Blackwell (b. 1937), English music executive, founder of Island records
* Sir Basil Henry Blackwell (1889-1984), English publisher and bookseller
* Professor Donald Blackwell (b. 1921), Astronomer
* Alexander Blackwell (1700-1747), Scottish adventurer
Please be aware that there is more than one coat of arms for this surname. If you would like this particular coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Also, the heraldry images on this website are copyrighted. Please email me if you would like permission to use the image pictured above on a website.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).