This surname of BLAKELOCK was derived from the Old English word BLAECLOCC, a nickname meaning one with black hair. The earliest of the name on record appears to be Peter Blacloke who was documented in 1275 in Warwickshire. Adam Blakelok appears in 1332 in County Surrey, and Robert Blaykelok was recorded in 1431 in County Yorkshire. Since the dawn of civilisation the need to communicate has been a prime drive of all higher mankind. The more organised the social structure became, the more urgent the need to name places, objects and situations essential to the survival and existence of the social unit. From this common stem arose the requirements to identify families, tribes and individual members evolving into a pattern in evidence today. In the formation of this history, common usage of customs, trades, locations, patronymic and generic terms were often adopted as surnames. The demands of bureaucracy formally introduced by feudal lords in the 11th century, to define the boundaries and families within their fiefdoms, crystallized the need for personal identification and accountability, and surnames became in general use from this time onwards. Later instances of the name mention William Blacklocke of County Cumberland, who registered at Oxford University in 1597, and William James married Mary Blacklock at St. George's Chapel, Mayfair, London in 1744. The name was early in Scotland and William Blakloche was the chaplain of the monastery of Dunfermlyne in 1483. Adam Blaiklok of the West Port of Edinburgh was hanged for perjury in 1615 and another Adam Blaiklok was the constable of the parish of Kirkpatrick-Juxta in 1617. The most prominent of the name was Dr. Thomas Blacklock (1721-1791) the early friend of the poet Burns. The name was spelt as Blaickloch in 1648, and Blakloik in 1541. Alba, the country which became Scotland, was once shared by four races; the Picts who controlled most of the land north of the Central Belt; the Britons, who had their capital at Dumbarton and held sway over the south west, including modern Cumbria; the Angles, who were Germanic in origin and annexed much of the Eastern Borders in the seventh century, and the Scots. The latter came to Alba from the north of Ireland late in the 5th century to establish a colony in present day Argyll, which they named Dalriada, after their homeland. The Latin name SCOTTI simply means a Gaelic speaker.
The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Registered in Scotland
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).