Home
coat of arms shopping cart

128 bit SSL Encrypted Secure Shopping

ecommerce provided by Yahoo! Small Business

family crests

heraldry

Coat of Arms & Family Crests Store

Blackadar Coat of Arms / Blackadar Family Crest

The surname of BLACKADAR was originally from the lands of Blackadder on the stream of the same name in the Merse division of Berwickshire. Blakadir de oerdem in the earldom of March, was documented in the year 1426. Adam of Blacathathir was one of those sent to conduct the envoys with Princess Cecelia's dower to Edinburgh in 1477, and Charles Blakater had a protection and was granted a safe conduct to travel into England in the year 1486. Robert Blackader was the Bishop of Glasgow at the end of the fifteenth century. Rolland Blaykatter, a tenant in the barony of Glasgow in 1521, is probably the same man who spelt his name as Roland Blacadyr, and appears as the subdean of Glasgow in 1524. Thomas Blacater was the baillie of the Commendator of Coldingham in 1557. The burghs of Scotland owe much of their prosperity to the large immigration of foreigners which went on during the 12th and 13th centuries. The original founders of the towns, were in many cases wanderers from Flanders, who brought with them their habits of industry and knowledge of trade and manufactures. Settlers of this description came in great numbers to England in the reign of Henry 1. (1100-1135) and when Henry 11 (1154-1189) drove all foreigners out of his dominions they flocked into Scotland, where a more enlightened policy made them welcome. The name was common in Lanarkshire in the sixteenth century, and the Blacaters or Blackadders of Tulliallan in Perthshire (from which they were dispossessed in 1632) were an offshoot from the Border family. The name has numerous variant spellings. A notable member of the name was John Blackadder (1615-86) the Scottish Covenanting minister of Troqueer, near Dumfries. Deprived of his living after the Restoration, in 1662, he preached in defiance of the law, and was outlawed in 1674. He fled to Rotterdam but returned to Scotland in 1679, and in 1681 was imprisoned on the Bass Rock where he died. His fifth son John (1664-1729) became colonel in command of the Cameronians in the year 1709. The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. That Ilk, County Berwick.

Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S.
(Use coupon code: FREESHIP).



VIEW OUR GIFT ITEMS HERE

OUR SHIPPING IS ONLY $11.95 NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU ORDER !



Last Updated: Dec. 1st, 2021

keywords: history, historical, research, surname, origin, family shield, code of arms, genealogy, escudo, wappen, heraldic, clan, badge, shields, coats, irish, scottish, german, french, italian, spanish, welsh, heraldique, dutch, swiss, hungarian, polish, origins, shield, family, genealogical, escudo de armas, arms, armas, dutch, halberts, house of names, hall of names, hrc, historical research, swyrich, clan, crests, badge, crest, scottish, badges, clans, highland games