This name of BIGGER was from the old barony, now the parish of the same name in Lanarkshire. The earliest of the name on record appears to be Baldwin de BIGIR, who appears as sheriff of Lanarkshire in 1100, and between 1147 and 1160 Baldwinus de BIGIR witnessed a grant to the Abbot of Kelso. Sometime after 1170 Baldwin de BIGRE, sheriff of Lanark granted the church of Innyrkyp beyond the moors, to the monks of Paisley. Alba, the country which became Scotland, was once shared by four races; the Picts who controlled most of the land north of the Central Belt; the Britons, who had their capital at Dumbarton and held sway over the south west, including modern Cumbria; the Angles, who were Germanic in origin and annexed much of the Eastern Borders in the seventh century, and the Scots. The latter came to Alba from the north of Ireland late in the 5th century to establish a colony in present day Argyll, which they named Dalriada, after their homeland. The Latin name SCOTTI simply means a Gaelic speaker. In 1228 Hugh, the son of Robert de BYGRIS appears in a charter record, and Sir Nicholas de BYGIR (knight) witnessed a deed in 1273. In 1329-30, Sir Henry de BYGAR held the offices of royal chaplain, rector of the church of BYGAR and clerk of the livery of the king's household. Walter de BIGARE appears as rector of the church of Erole in 1433. Before the 1066 Conquest names were rare in England, the few examples found were mainly adopted by those of the clergy or one who had taken holy orders. In 1086 the conquering Duke William of Normandy commanded the Domesday Book. He wanted to know what he had and who held it, and the Book describes Old English society under its new management in minute detail. It was then that surnames began to be taken for the purposes of tax-assessment. The nobles and the upper classes were first to realise the prestige of a second name, but it was not until the 15th century that most people had acquired a second name. The associated coat of arms is recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. Registered at Woolmet, County Edinburgh.
Orders over $90 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).