Spelling variations of this family name include: Ward, Warde, Varde and others.
First found in Northampton, where they held a family seat from ancient times, and the first on record was Osbert de Varde of Givendale in the year 1130, who was a descendant of Fouques de Vardes of Normandy.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Andrew Ward, who settled in New England in 1630; Elizabeth Ward, who settled in Virginia in 1635; George and Henry Ward, who settled in Boston Mass. in 1637.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Motto Translated: As I was.
Suggested Readings for the name Ward
Ward: A Genealogical Record of the Wards of Big Sandy by Billie Edyth Ward, A Scattered People: An American Family Moves West by Gerald W. McFarland, The Noble Family of Ward by James Mayfield Ward.
Some noteworthy people of the name Ward
* Lester Frank Ward (1841-1913), American sociologist and paleontologist
* Dame Geneviève Ward (1838-1922), American prima donna and actress
* Clifford Thomas Ward (1944-2001), English singer-songwriter
* Nathaniel Ward (1579-1652), English lawyer
* Nathaniel Bagshaw Ward (1791-1868), English physician and botanist
* Dame Barbara Mary Ward (1914-1981), English economist
* Edward Ward (1667-1731), English writer
* James Ward (1843-1925), English psychologist and philosopher
* Sir Leslie Ward (1851-1922), English caricaturist
* Mary Ward (1585-1645), English religious reformer
* Seth Ward (1617-1689), English mathematician, astronomer, and bishop
* William George Ward (1812-1882), English theologian
* John Ward (1832-1912), artist
* Sir Joseph George Ward (1856-1930), Australian-born New Zealand statesman, Prime Minister (1906-12, 1928-30)
* Rachel Ward (b. 1957), British actress
* Seaman First Class James Richard Ward, who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1941
* Sergeant James Allen Ward (1919-1941), New Zealand aviator awarded the Victoria Cross during WWII
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).