SURNAMES as we know them today were first assumed in Europe from the 11th to the 15th Century. They were not in use in England or in Scotland before the Norman Conquest, and were first found in the Domesday Book. The employment in the use of a second name was a custom that was first introduced from the Normans. They themselves had not long before adopted them. It became, in course of time, a mark of gentler blood, and it was deemed a disgrace for gentlemen to have but one single name, as the meaner sort had. It was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) it became general practice amongst all people WALLIS was a locational name 'of Wales' the Welshman who had settled elsewhere. Early records of the name mention Richard le Walais, documented during the reign of Henry III (1216-1272). Roger Walsche of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. The name was taken early to Scotland by settlers, and the earliest of the name there are said to have been followers of the Stewarts who came from Shropshire where they had a large possession of lands. Richard Walency witnessed a charter of a portion of the land in the territory of Molle, to the church of St. Mary of Kelso. Alba, the country which became Scotland, was once shared by four races; the Picts who controlled most of the land north of the Central Belt; the Britons, who had their capital at Dumbarton and held sway over the south west, including modern Cumbria; the Angles, who were Germanic in origin and annexed much of the Eastern Borders in the seventh century, and the Scots. The latter came to Alba from the north of Ireland late in the 5th century to establish a colony in present day Argyll, which they named Dalriada, after their homeland. The Latin name SCOTTI simply means a Gaelic speaker.
At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield and embroidered on his surcoat, the flowing and draped garment worn over the armour.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).