This surname TIMM was of the baptismal group of surnames meaning 'the son of Timothy'. The earliest of the name on record was Edward Timmis of Yorkshire, who was recorded in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379 and Richard Timson was documented in County Lancashire in the year 1400. Richard Tyms, who registered at Oxford University in the year 1564 and Dennis Tims and Mary Edwards were married at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in 1752. Jeremiah Ogbourn and Mary Timson, were married at the same church in 1764. Between the 11th and 15th centuries it became customary for surnames to be assumed in Europe, but were not commonplace in England or Scotland before the Norman Conquest of 1066. They are to be found in the Domesday Book of 1086. Those of gentler blood assumed surnames at this time, but it was not until the reign of Edward III (1327-1377) that it became common practice for all people. At first the coat of arms was purely a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. The name has many variant spellings which include Timms, Tims and Timson. Timothy was originally from the Greek name TIMOTHEOS (Timan, meaning to honour) and Theos (God). It was a name which was bestowed in honour of various early saints, notably the companion of St. Paul and the first Bishop of Ephesus. The origin of badges and emblems, are traced to the earliest times, although, Heraldry, in fact, cannot be traced later than the 12th century, or at furthest the 11th century. At first armorial bearings were probably like surnames and assumed by each warrior at his free will and pleasure, his object being to distinguish himself from others. It has long been a matter of doubt when bearing Coats of Arms first became hereditary. It is known that in the reign of Henry V (1413-1422), a proclamation was issued, prohibiting the use of heraldic ensigns to all who could not show an original and valid right, except those 'who had borne arms at Agincourt'. The College of Arms (founded in 1483) is the Royal corporation of heralds who record proved pedigrees and grant armorial bearings.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).