Spelling variations of this family name include: Sweit, Sweet, Swete, Sweete, Sweett and others.
First found in Somerset where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest of England in 1066 A.D.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Robert Sweet who settled in Virginia in 1623; George settled there in 1653; Thomas Sweet settled in Boston Mass. in 1633; William Sweet settled in Virginia in 1654.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Suggested Readings for the name Sweet
Sweat Families of the South by Erbon W. Wise.
Some noteworthy people of the name Sweet
* Blanche Sweet (1896-1986), American silent film actress
* Edwin Forrest Sweet (1847-1935), American politician from the state of Michigan
* William Ellery Sweet (1869-1942), the 23rd Governor of Colorado from 1923-1925
* Henry Sweet (1845-1912), an English philologist
* Robert Sweet (1783-1835), an English botanist
* Professor Peter Sweet, Professor of Astronomy, University of Glasgow
Please be aware that there is more than one coat of arms for this surname. If you would like this particular coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Also, the heraldry images on this website are copyrighted. Please email me if you would like permission to use the image pictured above on a website.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).