The surname of SUTTON was a locational name from many places so called in Surrey, Cambridge and Lincolnshire. The name was derived from the old English word SUDTONE. Local names usually denoted where a man held his land, and indicated where he actually lived. Early records of the name mention Kelel de Sudtone, who was listed as a tenant in the Domesday Book of 1086. Alnod Suthuna, ibid. Saer de Sutone was documented in County Lancashire in the year 1273. Mariot de Sutton of Dumfriesshire was recorded 1296. Johannes de Souton of Yorkshire was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. James Sutton married Margaret Bonner, St. Dionis Backchurch, London in 1593. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. The origin of badges and emblems, are traced to the earliest times, although, Heraldry, in fact, cannot be traced later than the 12th century, or at furthest the 11th century. At first armorial bearings were probably like surnames and assumed by each warrior at his free will and pleasure, his object being to distinguish himself from others. It has long been a matter of doubt when bearing Coats of Arms first became hereditary. It is known that in the reign of Henry V (1413-1422), a proclamation was issued, prohibiting the use of heraldic ensigns to all who could not show an original and valid right, except those 'who had borne arms at Agincourt'. The College of Arms (founded in 1483) is the Royal corporation of heralds who record proved pedigrees and grant armorial bearings.