This surname SHURTLEFF was of the locational group of surnames and meant one who came from 'Shirecliff', the ancient spelling of Sheffield, in County Yorkshire. Local names usually denoted where a man held his land, and indicated where he actually lived. Originally the coat of arms identified the wearer, either in battle or in tournaments. Completely covered in body and facial armour the knight could be spotted and known by the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped garment which enveloped him. Between the 11th and 15th centuries it became customary for surnames to be assumed in Europe, but were not commonplace in England or Scotland before the Norman Conquest of 1066. They are to be found in the Domesday Book of 1086. Those of gentler blood assumed surnames at this time, but it was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) that second names became general practice for all people. Early records of the name mention John de Shireclyf who was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Thomas Shirtliffe of Sheffield was documented in the year 1510, and Richard Shirtcliffe appears in 1564 in County Lancashire, Robert Sheirclyff in 1593, ibid. During the Middle Ages, when people were unable to read or write, signs were needed for all visual identification. For several centuries city streets in Britain were filled with signs of all kinds, public houses, tradesmen and even private householders found them necessary. This was an age when there were no numbered houses, and an address was a descriptive phrase that made use of a convenient landmark. At this time, coats of arms came into being, for the practical reason that men went into battle heavily armed and were difficult to recognise. It became the custom for them to adorn their helmets with distinctive crests, and to paint their shields with animals and the like. Coats of arms accompanied the development of surnames, becoming hereditary in the same way.
The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory, and the arms and crest were granted by Richard St. George, Norrey, in 1614.