Spelling variations of this family name include: Short, Shorte, Shortt, Schorte and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they were seated from ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Short, who came to the Jamestown settlement in Virginia in 1606; Henry Short who settled in Massachusetts in 1634; Marmaduke Short, who arrived in Virginia in 1668.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Motto Translated: By sincerity.
Suggested Readings for the name Short
Baxter-Short, Miller-Gill, and Related Families by Mary Cynthia Baxter Harrell, Descendants of Wingate Short by Lucille Day English.
Some noteworthy people of the name Short
* William Short (1759-1849), American diplomat, US ambassador to France, the Netherlands, and to Spain
* Charles Wilkins Short (1794-1863), American botanist and physician
* Wes Short Jr. (b. 1963), American professional (PGA) golfer
* Walter Campbell Short (1880-1949), American general
* Sir Francis Job Short (1857-1945), English engraver
* Martin Short (b. 1950), Canadian actor/comedian
* Nigel Short (b. 1965), British chess player
Please be aware that there is more than one coat of arms for this surname. If you would like this particular coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Also, the heraldry images on this website are copyrighted. Please email me if you would like permission to use the image pictured above on a website.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).