Spelling variations of this family name include: O'Ryan, Ryan, Mulrian, Mulryan, O'Mulrian and many more.
First found in county Tipperary.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Alexander, Alfred, Catherine, Cornelius, Daniel, Denis, Edward, Jeremiah, John, Margaret, Mathew, Michael, Patrick, Peter, Richard, Thomas, Timothy and William Ryan all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Motto Translated: I would rather die than be disgraced.
Suggested Readings for the name Ryan
Cordell-Ryan, Hicks-Bradford Families by John Cordell Hicks, Irish Roots by Mary Zaccheus Ryan.
Some noteworthy people of the name Ryan
* Hewson Ryan, American Diplomat
* Nolan Ryan (b. 1947), American baseball player
* John Joseph Ryan (b. 1922), original name of American Jack Lord
* Eoin Ryan, Irish politician
* Richie Ryan, Irish Lawyer
* Desmond Ryan (1893-1964), Irish socialist
* William Patrick Ryan (1867-1942), Irish journalist
* John Ryan, 1918 recipient of the Victoria Cross
* Kevin Ryan, New Zealand long-distance runner
* Paul Ryan, British singer and songwriter
* Dermot Ryan, Archbishop of Dublin
* John Ryan, British Company Director
* Peter Ryan, Australian Publisher
* Robert Ryan, U.N. Assistant Secretary General
Thank you for visiting our irish ryan coat of arms info page.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).