Peter, son of Fulbert or Fulburt, had a grant of Upper Pollock in Renfrewshire, from the High Steward and took his surname from the lands. Between 1177-99, he gifted the church of Pulloc and its to the monastery of Paisley, a gift confirmed by the bishop of Glasgow. Peter de Pollok also possessed lands in Moray, and he appears as a charter witness to several documents. In the reign of Alexander II, his grandson Robert de Pollok, granted to the monastery of Paisley, 12 pennies annually from the rents of his land of Pollok, for which he expected in return that he and his heirs be admitted to participation in the spiritual benefit arising from all the pious exercises of the Cluniac Order. The use of fixed surnames or descriptive names appears to have commenced in France about the year 1000, and such names were introduced into Scotland through the Normans a little over one hundred years later, although the custom of using them was by no means common for many years afterwards. During the reign of Malcolm Ceannmor (1057-1093) the latter directed his chief subjects, after the custom of other nations, to adopt surnames from their territorial possessions, and there created 'The first erlis that euir was in Scotland'. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. Many Highland families migrated from Scotland to Ireland during the 17th and 18th centuries, and were granted the lands of the native Catholic Irish. People heard of the attractions of the New World, and many left Ireland to seek a better life sailing aboard the fleet of ships known as the 'White Sails', but much illness took its toll with the overcrowding of the ships which were pestilence ridden. From the port of entry many settlers made their way west, joining the wagons to the prairies, and many loyalists went to Canada about the year 1790, and became known as the United Empire Loyalists. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Registered at Overpolloch and Co. Renfrewshire, 1672.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).