This surname PEACOCK was derived from the Old English word 'peacoc' a nickname for the 'gaudy and proud' one who strutted like a peacock. The name has numerous variant spellings which include PEACOCKE, PEECOCK, PACOCK, PEE, PEA, PAUN and PAVON. Early records of the name mention Pecoc (without surname) listed as a tenant in the Domesday Book of 1086. In 1066 Duke William of Normandy conquered England. He was crowned King, and most of the lands of the English nobility were soon granted to his followers. Domesday Book was compiled 20 years later. The Saxon Chronicle records that in 1085 'at Gloucester at midwinter, the King had deep speech with his counsellors, and sent men all over England to each shire to find out, what or how much each landowner held in land and livestock, and what it was worth. The returns were brought to him'. William was thorough. One of his Counsellors reports that he also sent a second set of Commissioners 'to shires they did not know and where they were themselves unknown, to check their predecessors' survey, and report culprits to the King'. The information was collected at Winchester, corrected, abridged, and copied by one single writer into a single volume. Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex were copied, by several writers into a second volume. The whole undertaking was completed at speed, in less than 12 months. Margaret Pakok, was documented during the reign of Edward III (1327-1377) in County Somerset. Roger Pocock of Yorkshire was mentioned in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. William Peacocke, registered at the University of Oxford in 1510. Thomas Love Peacock (1785-1866) was an English satirical novelist, born in Weymouth, the son of a London merchant. He was a friend of Shelley. He entered the service of the East India Company in 1819, after producing three satirical romances. He also published two romances 'Maid Marion' (1822) and 'The Misfortunes of Elphin' (1829). At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).