Home
coat of arms shopping cart

128 bit SSL Encrypted Secure Shopping

ecommerce provided by Yahoo! Small Business

family crests

heraldry

Coat of Arms & Family Crests Store

Paget Coat of Arms / Paget Family Crest

Paget Coat of Arms / Paget Family Crest

This surname PAGET was derived from the Old French PAGE - a boy in charge of the chamber. The name was brought into England in the wake of the Norman Invasion of 1066. Early records of the name mention William Paget of the County of Sussex in 1327. Johannes Paget of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Later instances of the name mention John Briggs and Mary Padgett who were married at St. George's, Hanover Square, London in the year 1779. John Kellick and Elizabeth Paget were married at the same church in the year 1807. Surnames as we know them today were first assumed in Europe from the 11th until the 15th century. They had not been in use in England before the Invasion of William the Conqueror in 1066, when they were introduced into England by the Normans. They themselves had not long before adopted them. It became, in course of time, a mark of gentler blood, and it was deemed a disgrace for a gentleman to have but one single name, as the meaner sort. It was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) that it became general practice for all people. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. A family by the name Paget, who hold the marquessate of Anglesey, first became prominent with William Paget (1506-63) whose father was said to have been of humble origin from Wednesbury, Staffordshire. He acquired large estates from Henry VIII. on the dissolution of the monasteries. The family also held the title Earl of Uxbridge. This was first granted in 1784 to a relative by marriage, Henry Bayly who took the name Page or Paget in 1766. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. The arms were registered at Cranmore Hall in the County of Somerset.


Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S.
(Use coupon code: FREESHIP).



VIEW OUR GIFT ITEMS HERE

OUR SHIPPING IS ONLY $11.95 NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU ORDER !



last updated on: February 17th, 2017

keywords: history, origin, family shield, code of arms, genealogy, escudo, wappen, heraldic, clan, badge, shields, coats, irish, scottish, german, french, italian, spanish, welsh, heraldique