Spelling variations of this family name include: O'Brien, OBrine, O'Brion, O'Bryan, O'Bryen, McBrien, McBrine, Brian, Briand, Briant, Brine, Brines, Briens and many more.
First found in county Clare.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Archibald O'Brian settled in Virginia in 1773; James, John, Patrick, Timothy and William O'Brian all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860; Andrew, Anne, Bridge, Catherine, Charles, Cornelius, David, Daniel, Denis, Edward, Frank, George, Henry, Hugh, James, John, Martin, Mary, Michael, Patrick, Peter, Thomas and William O'Brien all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1870.
(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)
Motto Translated: The strong hand from above.
Suggested Readings for the name O'Brien
Shamrocks and Fleurs-de-lis: A Louisiana Genealogy of the O'Brien, Mendoza, Verret, de la Chaise, Chauvin, and Allied Families by Leland Dudley O'Brien.
Some noteworthy people of the name O'Brien
* Albert O'Brien, American Executive
* Laurence Francis "Larry" O'Brien (1917-1990), one of the United States Democratic Party's leading electoral strategists for more than two decades
* Richard O'Brien, MD, FACP, Molecular Biologist and Professor at the Center for Health Policy & Ethics of Creighton University Medical Center
* Daniel Dion "Dan" O'Brien (b. 1966), American Decathlete who won the gold medal in the 1996 Olympics after winning three consecutive world titles
* Leah O'Brien, American softball player
* Angela Maxine O'Brien (b. 1937), original name of Margaret O'Brien
* Lieutenant Colonel William J O'Brien, who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944
* Conor O'Brien, Chief of the O'Brien Clan, direct descendant of Brian Boru and the latest in an unbroken male line that stretches back 1,000 years
* Edna O'Brien (b. 1930), Irish Novelist and short story writer appointed adjunct professor of English Literature in University College Dublin
* Sir Timothy O'Brien (1860-1928), Irish Politician
* Terrence O'Brien, British Diplomat
Please be aware that there is more than one obrien coat of arms available. If you would like this particular o'brien coat of arms, you must describe it on your order form. If you don't describe it on your order form, we will provide you with the oldest coat of arms on record for this surname, which may or may not be the one pictured above.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).