The surname of NUNN was a nickname for a man of devout and demure demeanour. Early records of the name mention Alice le Nonne, 1273, County Northampton. Margaret Nunne was documented in County Norfolk in the year 1300. Thomas Jenkins and Abigale Nunn were married at St. James's, Clerkenwell, London in the year 1614. Edmund Nunn and Mary Park were married at St. George's Chapel, Mayfair, London in 1746. Originally the coat of arms identified the wearer, either in battle or in tournaments. Completely covered in body and facial armour the knight could be spotted and known by the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped garment which enveloped him. Between the 11th and 15th centuries it became customary for surnames to be assumed in Europe, but were not commonplace in England or Scotland before the Norman Conquest of 1066. They are to be found in the Domesday Book of 1086. Those of gentler blood assumed surnames at this time, but it was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) that second names became general practice for all people. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884. The origin of badges and emblems, are traced to the earliest times, although, Heraldry, in fact, cannot be traced later than the 12th century, or at furthest the 11th century. At first armorial bearings were probably like surnames and assumed by each warrior at his free will and pleasure, his object being to distinguish himself from others. It has long been a matter of doubt when bearing Coats of Arms first became hereditary. It is known that in the reign of Henry V (1413-1422), a proclamation was issued, prohibiting the use of heraldic ensigns to all who could not show an original and valid right, except those 'who had borne arms at Agincourt'. The College of Arms (founded in 1483) is the Royal corporation of heralds who record proved pedigrees and grant armorial bearings. A notable member of the name was Sir Thomas Percy Nunn (1870-1944) the English education administrator and teacher trainer, born in Bristol. He was educated at his father's school (Weston-super-Mare) and Bristol University College, he taught in Halifax and London grammar schools. He became the vice-principal of the London Day College in 1905, and transformed it into the Institute of Education of University to London in 1932.
Orders over $85 qualify for Free Shipping within the U.S. (Use coupon code: FREESHIP).